Sidney Bronson, was born June 25, 1941 in Garland, North Carolina to the late Danny Monroe and Clare Bogerty. He was reared by the late Kenneth Bogerty.
Sidney was educated in Garland, North Carolina and Newport News, Virginia. It is in Newport News, where he received his High School Diploma. He was employed by New York City Mass Transit Authority for more than 20 years. He later went on to own his own successful limousine service.
Sid or Mr. Sid as he was known, had a genuine love for children and people in general. He refereed basketball games for high school and college students. He was also involved in the afterschool program at Your Destiny Center and participated in all functions of NHBW.
Loyalty, reliability, trustworthiness, honesty and dedication are qualities that are looked at to determine the character of a person. While Sid did not have degrees or monuments named after him, he possessed the qualities to determine him to be a great man. He did not know that he was destined to make an incredible impact on so many!
Mr. Sid passed, September 29th, 2014 in Charlotte, North Carolina and left six successful children.
While the NHBW is proud to have known him, we know that he was truly an advocate for education. His legacy for the love of children will live on. It’s a legacy that will benefit and support scholars thru the Sidney Bronson Educational Scholarship Fund. Any student applying to college or a returning college student has the opportunity to apply.
We the Queen City Chapter of NHBW would like to thank you for your generous support in helping us make Mr.Sid smile.
Sidney Bronson Scholarship
Application Deadline: May 7, 2021
General Eligibility Requirement
- Must be a graduate of Mecklenburg County, North Carolina.
- Enter an accredited college or university as a freshman, sophomore, junior or senior
- Have accumulative a grade point average GPA of 2.75 or higher from your last school attended.
- Be involved in school and community activities.
- Demonstrate mastery of written communication skills in a 300 to 500-word essay.
- Physical Application click here
- Complete application and return it to the address below along with a headshot photo (at least a 2×3 and no larger than 5×7 of applicant).
- The application must be accompanied by two current letters of recommendation (written by a school and a community representative.)
- Letters from supervisors and/or copies of certificates of participation from organizations where you performed your community service. (Applicant must have verified volunteer hours, please be specific about your duties.)
- Have the last school you attended submit an official transcript to the address below.
- The application must be accompanied by this essay that adheres to the following standards:
- The essay must contain 300 to 500 words.
- The essay must be typed and double-spaced.
- The essay must be written on the following topic:
The National Hook-Up of Black Women, Inc., Queen City Chapter is a charitable corporation dedicated to improving the lives of women and their families through support of the arts, culture, health, education, and human service programs. Compose an essay that fully explains how you would improve the lives of families in your community through support of the arts, culture, health, education, and human service programs.
- Your essay should fully answer the following questions:
- What extracurricular activities are you a part of that support the arts, culture, health, education, and human service programs?
- How would you, in the future, help improve the lives of Families in Mecklenburg County?
- What impact would this scholarship have on your educational goals?
Official Transcriptions can be sent to us via Email or postal mail.
NHBW Queen City Chapter
PO Box 42074
Charlotte, NC 28215
**Please note all emails must come from a .edu address. All mailed copies must be unopened copies. Applicants can upload an unofficial copy with their application. These student’s applications will still be counted if in before the deadline. However, they will not be reviewed until the official copies are received.
Question(s) about the Application
Would You Like to Help
Meeting With Us
Reconciling the World Ministries
7801 Plott Road, Charlotte, NC 28215
4th Saturday of Each Month
@ 10:00 AM